What exactly is a dermaplaning facial?
It may sound terrifying at first but bear with us. A dermaplaning facial involves the use of a sterile surgical scalpel that is run across the face in short upward strokes. What this does is remove dead skin cells and vellus hairs (peach fuzz). While a surgical scalpel is used, there’s no need to worry about this penetrating your skin as it is held at a 45 degree angle, simply intended for scraping the skin.
But before you get under the knife (don’t worry, just a joke), you may be wondering why exactly a dermaplane facial is any more beneficial than other procedures that don’t require a surgical blade.
Here are the benefits of dermaplaning:
Removes Facial Hair
A dermaplane facial has a similar function to the “shaving your face” fad. But it is much more effective because of the type of blade used. This one is much sharper than what you can typically purchase in stores, and by having a professional aesthetician take care of those problem areas you are much more likely to experience a better result.
While many people first consider getting a dermaplaning facial as a pain-free method to hair removal, the dermaplane facial hosts many other benefits. And one of these is its ability to remove dead skin cells from the face. Unlike with microdermabrasion and other exfoliation techniques, dermaplaning does not require any special chemicals and is non-abrasive. This makes it great for those with sensitive skin while leaving the skin looking naturally flawless and feeling smooth to the touch.
First let’s debunk what exactly anti-ageing is. In no way does anti-ageing products and treatments reverse ageing of the skin. What it does do is prevent any further damage, and help reduce the appearance of the effects damage has already done to the skin. This makes your skin look fresher and younger. With a dermaplaning facial, you essentially shave off that entire top layer of dead skin, reducing the effects of fine lines, hyper pigmentation and acne scars. This makes the skin look more awake and revitalised, which gives you that younger appearance.
Many hair removal treatments as you probably already know are filled with frustration and pain. Whether you normally get your facial hair waxed or tweezed, or if you’ve considered getting it removed with lasers, the pain of hair removal is unnecessary. While a dermaplaning facial may seem the scariest, it is actually the most harmless. It provides for a completely painless and surprisingly relaxing experience.
No Down Time
With many other treatments, your face may be beet red after, you fear leaving the house and you may be required to do some at-home maintenance. With a dermaplaning facial, all you need to do is come in for your treatment and use a gentle facial cleanser that night.
Makeup Goes on Smoothly
And from all these wonderful benefits comes how amazing your skin will look as well as how beautiful your makeup will look. Once you get a dermaplane facial, your makeup will easily glide over your now smooth and movie star quality skin.
**PRE TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
No shaving, peels, waxing, or aggressive exfoliations one week prior to Dermaplaning treatments. You should wait 7 days after receiving Botox or Dermal Fillers to receive Dermaplaning treatments.
**POST TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
· Use a gentle cleanser and apply moisturizer at least twice daily for a minimum of 7 days post treatment.
· Avoid sun exposure as much as possible for a minimum of 3 days post treatment. If you must be in the sun, apply SPF 30 or greater, reapply often, wear a wide brimmed hat, and seek shade when possible. Be careful of sun exposure and wear sunscreen daily for 2 weeks.
· Avoid excessive heat 3 days post treatment, i.e. heavy workouts, steam rooms or saunas, etc.
· Avoid chlorine for 24 hours.
· Avoid facial waxing for 7 days.
· Avoid Dermal Fillers or Botox for 2 to 4 weeks based on area.
· Do not pick, scratch, or aggressively rub the treated area.
· No scrubs, polishers, or aggressive brushes should be used for 7 to 14 days.
· Do apply serums as absorption levels will be elevated
· You may experience slight peeling for the first few days. Slight windburn sensation and/or blotchiness are normal for the first few days. Skin care products may tingle or slightly burn for the first 2 days.
Dermaplaning can be done every FOUR WEEKS